MENA Infrastructure is a pre-eminent infrastructure equity investor and fund manager focusing on investments in the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey (MENAT) region.
Founded in 2007 and owned by HSBC, Fajr Capital and Waha Capital, MENA Infrastructure currently manages a US$300 million infrastructure fund from its headquarters in the Dubai International Financial Centre. MENA Infrastructure has the premier infrastructure private equity team in the region. The team is fully supported by a network of sponsors, investors, intermediaries and strategic partners that command significant influence in the region’s business communities. With these resources and networks at its disposal, the firm offers a unique combination of unrivalled origination capability with proven investment and execution expertise. MENA Infrastructure has executed some of the region’s landmark transactions and holds a collection of well-regarded awards which bear testament to its superior performance.
Having successfully invested its first generation fund, the firm is now seeking to raise MENA Infrastructure Fund II, targeting US$500 million in commitments. This will allow the firm to leverage its reputation and connectivity, and to continue its proven strategy to capitalise on the increasing flow of attractive infrastructure opportunities generated by rapid development in the high growth MENAT economies.
Our Investment Strategy
The MENAT region includes some of the fastest growing economies of the world. With Gross Domestic Product (GDP) expected to grow at the rate of over 4.5% over the next five years, (against just 2.5% for advanced economies) and population growth forecast of over 1.7% (against just 1.0% for the world over a similar period), the region’s macroeconomic characteristics compare favourably to developed OECD markets. As governments in the region concentrate on the provision of much-needed public services and allocate resources to critical areas, they increasingly look to the private sector for the delivery of infrastructure-related services. This drives the need for private sector participation through skill and capital either in the form of public private partnerships (PPPs) or regular privatisations.
MENA Infrastructure acts as:
- a primary sponsor or co-sponsor of infrastructure and energy projects and companies which are being tendered or are already in development or under construction (“greenfield opportunities); or
- an investor or co-investor of infrastructure and energy companies which are already operational (“brownfield opportunities”).
As well as equity capital, MENA Infrastructure brings extensive sector knowledge, regional relationships and financial expertise to the projects and companies in which it invests.
Our definition of the infrastructure is tailored to meet the specific needs of the region. We invest in:
- Energy: including power generation (through IPPs and IWPPs), transmission and distribution, hydrocarbon transmission and storage
- Transport: including airports, roads, marine ports, and rail
- Environmental Services: waste water treatment, water desalination, and waste management
- Social Infrastructure: hospitals, education facilities, schools, and social housing.